Whether you’re looking for the first and last dry herb vaporizer you will ever need or you are looking to upgrade from what you are using now, there are more quality options on the market than ever before.
That’s a good thing, because it means you can prioritize the features that are most important to you. But you might also feel overwhelmed by the massive selection available. To help you quickly find the dry herb vaporizer that is going to best serve your needs, we’ve put together this comparison guide.
Before we dive in with our recommendations, we want to briefly tell you why we tend to shop at Planet of the Vapes (POTV).
POTV’s been around for more than a decade. We’ve been shopping from them for many years now. Over that time, they’ve impressed us consistently with the quality of the products they stock, their fast and reliable delivery, and their strong warranties and customer support.
We’ve loved every product we’ve purchased through POTV, and on the rare occasion where we’ve had an issue or needed help, we were able to get assistance fast.
Our Favorite Dry Herb Vaporizers
Now that you know why we recommend shopping at POTV, let’s take a look at some of the best dry herb vaporizers they are offering.
Need a little more guidance before you start shopping? Below these reviews, we go over important features and considerations when you are shopping for a dry herb vaporizer.
1. Volcano Hybrid: Best Overall Dry Herb Vaporizer
If the Volcano Classic appeals to you, but you are looking to level up your vaping, then you may want to grab the Volcano Hybrid. This model is similar to the Classic, but packs in more features.
Why You’ll Love It
The Volcano Hybrid gives you a wide temperature range with a low temperature variance, which means you can make adjustments with greater precision than the Classic allows. The Hybrid provides excellent versatility as well since you can vape using a balloon or a tube. You will also appreciate the faster heat-up time and the Iterations and Workflows programming features. There is a Hybrid app for your mobile device as well.
2. Mighty+: Best Portable Vapor Quality
If what you need is a model that can give you some seriously long and reliable vaping sessions, then you are going to want to pick up the Mighty+ (or “Mighty Plus) by Storz & Bickel.
This product is similar to the Crafty+ (not surprising, given the similarities in their names), but it is larger. The first version of it came out in 2014. While that one was already an instant classic, the 2021 model is even better, thanks to its upgraded components.
Why You’ll Love It
You can enjoy up to 8 sessions per charge, which is enough to get you through the day before you need a recharge. That makes it almost as good as the Venty in the battery life department. It takes just 40 minutes to charge it back up to 80% capacity with its USB-C capability.
Additional features that set the Mighty+ apart include rapid heating, a pre-set Superboost temperature, a bright, easy-to-read screen with intuitive controls, and a wide temperature range from 105 to 410 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Volcano Classic: Best Desktop Overall Value
Storz and Bickel introduced this iconic vaporizer in 2000. Since then, the Volcano Classic has become the preferred varporizer for dry herbs for many aficionados around the globe, remaining a mainstay even as other quality products have filled the market. You can recognize it at a glance from its conical shape.
Why You’ll Love It
The Volcano Classic boasts industrial-grade materials that offer impressive longevity and easily justify its higher price tag. Other areas where the Volcano Classic shines are temperature control, ease-of-use, and little need for maintenance. It has a large heat exchanger and an efficient convection heating system that operates quickly and heats the device evenly. The result is a great vaping experience every time.
4. TinyMight 2: Best for On-Demand Vaping
The next vaporizer we recommend is the TinyMight 2. As the name of the product makes plain, the TinyMight 2 is a compact unit that can fit in your pocket.
Why You’ll Love It
The compact design of the TinyMight 2 is just one of the reasons you will love it. This vaporizer can heat up ridiculously fast—it only takes 5 seconds! While the charge time is not the longest (5-8 sessions per charge), the battery is replaceable so you can swap between them while you charge for an uninterrupted vaping experience. Other cool features include on-demand and session modes, a built-in multi-tool, and the option to add a titanium stem. Additionally, the TinyMight 2 is beautiful to look at with its distinctive wood finish.
Oh, and did we mention that the TinyMight 2 is backed by an impressive 10-year warranty? That speaks volumes regarding this product’s projected longevity.
5. Crafty+ (Plus) Vaporizer: Best Portable Vaporizer
Although the Crafty+ (also spelled “Crafty Plus”) does not have quite the airflow capacity of the Venty, it is another of our top recommended vaporizers for dry herbs. In fact, it is easily the runner-up for top overall vaporizer. Unsurprisingly, it is another Storz & Bickel product. But we are featuring it in this list largely for its outstanding portability.
Why You’ll Love It
With its compact, attractive build, the Crafty+ is easily one of the most convenient vaporizers on our list. It’s easy to fit into a backpack or your pocket with its low-profile design.
Like the Venty Vaporizer, the Crafty+ sports USB-C charging and offers excellent battery life. It heats up evenly, thanks in part to its superior insulation. If you like using higher temperatures, you will appreciate the special “boost” mode.
6. POTV Lobo: Best Portable Overall Value
Did you know that Planet of the Vapes has developed its own dry herb vaporizer in-house? That vaporizer is the Lobo.
It made sense for POTV to get into vaporizer design, considering the company’s extensive experience in vaporizer sales. Think about it—they are intimately familiar with customers’ pain points and feature wish lists. They know where other products have fallen short, and how they could fill in the gaps with their own innovative design.
Why You’ll Love It
The Lobo heats up in around 40 seconds, and offers a temperature range between 320 and 430 degrees Fahrenheit. The device includes a flexible timer and adaptable pacing to suit your personal draw speed. With a .25-gram capacity, the titanium chamber has room for a lot of herbs.
Speaking of titanium, you will also appreciate that POTV manufactured this product out of clean materials. Stainless steel, glass, and a silicone-free design ensure an incredible pure, uncontaminated taste.
7. Venty Vaporizer: Best for Precision Control
In the universe of vaporizer manufacturers, Storz & Bickel are a juggernaut. You can’t go wrong with any of their products. You could literally pick one blindfolded and end up happy, yet the Venty Vaporizer arguably is the crème de la crème of their entire product line. This makes it our top overall recommendation right now for anyone shopping for a dry herb vaporizer.
Why You’ll Love It
It takes just 20 seconds for Venty to heat up and be ready to go, thanks to a powerful combination of conduction and convection technology. A lot of other vaporizers take twice or even three times as long to heat up. Additionally, compared to the Crafty+ and Mighty+, two other vaporizers we recommend, the airflow capacity is almost double.
A pair of 18650 lithium-ion batteries ensure that you can enjoy up to 10 sessions per charge. When the charge does run out, you can bring it back to 80% within 40 minutes thanks to the rapid USB-C charger.
8. The Firefly 2+: Best for Flavor
POTV refers to the Firefly 2+ as “a flavor connoisseur’s vape.” If taste is your top priority, then you are going to appreciate the premium taste and density that The Firefly 2 delivers with incredible consistency.
Why You’ll Love It
The main attraction of The Firefly 2+ is exactly what we mentioned above—the vapor quality. But The Firefly 2 has a spectacular all-around design, packing features like on-demand vaping (just 3 seconds to heat up), a wide temperature range, and impressively fast USB 3.0 charging (within just 45 minutes, the device can be fully charged).
9. Ditanium Vaporizer: Best for Hookah-Style Sessions
Do you like to use a whip to vape? If so, one of your best options for hookah-style vaping is the Ditanium. This vaporizer comes with a silicone whip and a titanium mouthpiece that you can also use as a water pipe adapter.
Why You’ll Love It
The Ditanium is the right choice for those who are in the market for a product that can produce strong vapor. The vaporizer heats up quickly, and is suitable for both herbs and extracts. Along with the whip and mouthpiece (which are included in the base price), you have the option of purchasing a carb cap for an added boost. We fully recommend that you go for it.
This vaporizer is an excellent low-maintenance option for vaping since it can clean itself. All you have to do is turn it up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit.
Finally, the visual design of the Ditanium is appealing with its clean, modern lines and two different finish options.
What to Look for When Shopping for a Cannabis Herb Vaporizers
If you have never purchased a dry herb vaporizer before, then you might not be sure what is important when you are shopping for one. To help you make the right purchase, let’s go over some key buying considerations.
Keep in mind that there is no single vaporizer that is necessarily the best purchase for everyone. While we named the Venty as our top overall choice, the exact model that is right for you will be the one that best fits your individual needs. Maybe that will be the Venty, or maybe it will be one of the other products in this list. With that out of the way, let’s press on to the buying considerations.
- Speed to heat up: If you do not want to sit around waiting for your vaping session to begin, then you will want a device that heats up quickly. Generally speaking, anything that heats up within 60 seconds is great. You do not necessarily want the shortest possible time; vaporizers often do the best job if they do not heat too quickly. Around 40 seconds is pretty ideal, but anywhere between 20 and 60 seconds is also fantastic. That said, there are some products that offer heating in just 3-5 seconds that still produce dense, flavorful vapor.
- Heating technology: It is important for a dry herb vaporizer to be able to heat the contents in the chamber evenly. A great way to achieve this is with a combination of convection and conduction technology, which is known as a “hybrid” system. The quality of the insulation also has an impact on how evenly the vaporizer heats the contents.
- Control: There are a few things to look for when it comes to control. The first is a wide temperature range. The second is a wide timer range. Another consideration is temperature variance, which you want to be minimal to ensure the greatest possible accuracy and precision.
- Chamber: Look for a vaporizer that has a chamber made out of durable, high-quality materials that will not leach unwanted odors, flavors or chemicals into your herbs, and which has a high enough capacity that you can fill it with a lot of herbs at once.
- Materials: Speaking of unwanted odors or flavors, if possible, you should get a dry herb vaporizer that uses clean, quality materials for every component. This is what ensures the integrity of taste for every session. Additionally, the materials should be strong enough to withstand extensive daily use for many years.
- Maintenance requirements: No matter what vaporizer you buy, you will need to clean and maintain it regularly. So, it is important to choose a vaporizer with a smart design that makes for fast and easy cleaning. That way, you will not need to spend a lot of time on it, nor will you need to purchase any fancy cleaning supplies. Some units are even self-cleaning!
- Longevity: A high-quality vaporizer should continue to function well for years on end, so long as you are maintaining it appropriately. Of course, not all products offer this type of longevity, but those that made our list do. It is the combination of their sturdy materials and overall design that ensures they can offer this lengthy lifespan. They are backed by solid warranties as well.
- Ease-of-use: You should not need to think too hard when you are using a vaporizer. There will be an initial learning curve, but it should not be too steep, even if you are a beginner. And once you do learn the basics, you should be able to operate the vaporizer without a lot of effort. Simple, intuitive controls and a bright screen can go a long way toward making a vaporizer user-friendly.
- Accessories: Some products may be compatible with lines of accessories such as water pipe adapters or mini bubblers. These accessories extend the functionality and versatility of your vaporizer, making it more adaptable to your preferences and needs. Pay attention to whether accessories are included in the base price or are separate optional purchases.
- Battery life and charging: Check what types of batteries a vaporizer uses, how many are included, and how long they last before you need to recharge them. Also pay close attention to what type of charging technology is featured and what charge times you can expect.
- Portability: Most vaporizers are at least a little bit portable, being as they are not very large. But some stow more easily than others, and may even fit in a pocket. For example, the Volcano vaporizer is designed to sit on a desk, and is a bit awkward to take with you on the go. But a design like the Crafty+ is perfect for taking with you anywhere in or out of the home.
- Appearance: This is less important than most of the features we have talked about, but once you have considered functionality, you are free to think about style. We would say this matters most with a desktop model, as you are likely to leave it sitting out most of the time. A beautiful vaporizer can actually add to your décor.
- Cost: You should, of course, consider cost when you are picking out a vaporizer. You do not have to break the bank to purchase a high quality product, but we do suggest you be willing to pay a little extra if you can afford it. Again, a solidly-built vaporizer will last you years, so it is worth it to get higher precision and performance.
- Warranty: Many of the best vaporizers on the market are backed by multi-year warranties. While you hopefully will not ever need to fall back on a warranty, just seeing a longer warranty can give you peace of mind. A company that is willing to stand behind its products for so long believes in their longevity. That should inspire confidence.
- Customer service: If you need to use a warranty, then you will be working with the customer service team. Choose a company that you can depend on to make the process fast, fair and easy (hint: Storz & Bickel and Planet of the Vapes are both awesome).
While there may be additional buying considerations you discover as you are shopping and assessing your needs, those above should be enough to get you started!
Get Your Own Herb Vaporizer
You have had a chance to compare some of the best dry herb vaporizers on the market today. Whether you are prioritizing precision temperature control, long sessions and rapid charge times, portability, or any other features, there is a dry herb vaporizer out there that is perfect for you. If you are ready to start enjoying convenient vaping sessions with even heating, consistent results, and a clean flavor, click on any of the links in this post to buy your next dry herb vaporizer.